ExpressCard/54 Expansion Question

...and Tech Support (ok stop laughing we try)

ExpressCard/54 Expansion Question

Postby Khaizerex » 06 Dec 09, 11:52 am

I got a laptop with just that one expansion slot, I am pretty happy with the whole thing, although i wish I could install a better graphics card, anyone know if there is anyway for me to do that?
I live in your head, I can be found in your dreams. Rest peacefully, I will guard over you.
Khaizerex

Re: ExpressCard/54 Expansion Question

Postby Don't Blink » 06 Dec 09, 3:24 pm

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/qa.jsp

3. Does a video accelerator ExpressCard module exist?

No, we do not expect that a stand-alone ExpressCard graphics accerlerator will be developed in the near term. Although the PCI Express x1 lane used in the ExpressCard interface is fast enough for substantial graphics acceleration, graphics accelerators currently require more board space than even an ExpressCard/54 module provides, more power than the ExpressCard slot can provide and produce more heat than an ExpressCard module can safely dissipate. We do expect to see ExpressCard modules which allow the addition of second (or even third or more) monitors to your system, although the level of graphics peformance on an external monitor will likely be best suited for office applications.

However, it is possible to achieve graphics acceleration using an ExpressCard slot. Using a PCI Express expansion chassis, a standard PCI Express graphics accelerator card can be utilized to allow game-level 3D graphics (to an external monitor) even if your notebook came with low-end internal video support. Due to the fact that there is not a simple path back to the internal video subsystem, upgrading the graphics capabilities of your built-in monitor is not possible with this type of setup. Graphics upgrade/expansion (to an external monitor) is also available through the ExpressCard slot via Docking Stations

and/but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard
Don't Blink

Postby Khaizerex » 11 Dec 09, 12:35 am

Sorry to waste your time, DB, I was just hoping for a more promising answer than that... I did spend some time looking up the stuff myself, but thought that maybe one of you guys may know better... *sigh
I live in your head, I can be found in your dreams. Rest peacefully, I will guard over you.
Khaizerex

Postby Don't Blink » 11 Dec 09, 1:01 am

It's okay I have a look-up/database given to me by Drew

I'm not an expert, but some of the resources are pretty good. Hopefully they help but if not :dontknow:
Don't Blink

Postby Khaizerex » 13 Dec 09, 1:07 pm

Thanks, DB. Though I should have known better... Oh well... it just means I can't carry my games with me wherever I go, stuck to playing on a desktop, which I don't really mind...
Khaizerex

Return to Complaints, Problems and Suggestions