US healthcare bill: Trump issues Friday vote ultimatum

Strange Weird and Funny news

US healthcare bill: Trump issues Friday vote ultimatum

Postby Angie G » 23 Mar 17, 10:54 pm

US healthcare bill: Trump issues Friday vote ultimatum http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39375123
Key elements of the new bill:

Cuts the Medicaid program for low earners
Provides tax credits to help people pay medical bills, but reduced compared to Obamacare
Ends penalties on those who do not buy health coverage
Allows insurers to raise premiums for older people
Blocks federal payments to women's healthcare provider Planned Parenthood for a year

Thanks to Republicans it looks like I will lose health insurance, and so will some other family members.

This I have to admit is one thing that I really don't understand about the United States. Europe has national healthcare,Canada has national health care, Mexico has national health care. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Cuba, Chile, all have national healthcare. In fact most countries in South America have Some form of national healthcare.

Voters in the United States consistently vote against their own best interests. One thing that is really shocking to me is that the voters who are pushing the hardest for the repeal of Obama care, older and poorer voters, are the ones who are going to be hit the hardest. I wish someone could explain to me why? Someone once told me it was because they did not want Negroes to have health insurance. That is like jumping in the water to drown a person knowing you cannot swim. That doesn't make sense.
Angie G

Re: US healthcare bill: Trump issues Friday vote ultimatum

Postby Don't Blink » 23 Mar 17, 11:18 pm

:dontknow: I'm from this country and I can't explain why some voters vote to support health care monopolies and deprive themselves of needed services.

I can only guess that some people were swayed by promises to fix health care. It's ironic that according to CBO (congressional budget office) studies Trump voters as a demographic, will be the biggest losers under the new healthcare proposal.

btw The saying is "Cutting off your Nose to Spite your Face" If you start talking about drowning Negros, that will take on a different meaning that you want to avoid.
Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 24 Mar 17, 8:13 am

People are sold on doing what is best for the country by their leaders ( political, talk-shows, news channels, etc ) But the truth is the politicians are beholden to special interests and the mislead people they are suppose to serve. This is true of both sides.

Some people are ideologically opposed to abortion. Which is okay, but creates a problem when they would rather see national healthcare collapse if it will prevent an abortion.

There are a lot of people that will lose healthcare and the ironic thing is that the numbers were starting to stabilize because of screening and health checkups. The emergency room is not the best place to get health care! Trump care is projected to save the country 150 to 300 billion over 10 years but cost 24 million people their health insurance. That is not much savings, and is less than banking subsidies, or energy company subsidies - and on and on.

There are some things that need to be done collectively to make them better. National defense, police, fire department, roads, airports, are a few. Health Insurance when done right is an attempt to spread risks collectively. When done wrong they pull money from the system with out creating value, and that is what has happened.

At this point things are so screwed up that National health care is the only way to go. There are some people that say government screws up everything, and to be honest they don't have a great track record. But if that is the case, then private health care companies should be easily able to compete against a single payer healthcare option. They don't want to compete because it would cut into their profits and that is why they have politicians on retainer.

I will also add that this could have been avoided if the Democrats had offered a better choice in the last election.
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby Jack Flash » 24 Mar 17, 9:59 am

One more thing I want to add to this discussion:

I needed to get an EEG a while back and called every hospital in my area for a price and could not get an answer. The billing dept would always say "depends on your insurance" when I say none, they would quote some absurd number they use so they can offer 80% discounts to insurance companies, then say "but we offer several programs". It was impossible to get a real number. Round and round I went and never got an answer. To say it was frustrating would be an understatement!

If it is impossible to get a price for a service, how is it possible to shop for a service? If Republicans want to fix health care by increasing competition they need to fix this problem first.
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 24 Mar 17, 2:26 pm

not going to get into this other than to say Trump has said if it doesn't get passed today, then he is thru with it
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Postby mugley » 24 Mar 17, 2:58 pm

it was tabled abruptly this afternoon, so now we shall see what happens i guess
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Postby Don't Blink » 24 Mar 17, 8:57 pm

Got to say I'm happy to hear that. Based on some stories I've heard, some Republican voters may have been contacting their representatives.

True the government can't continue to pay outrageous prices to cover people, but trying to force people to pay outrageous prices for healthcare is not the answer either. The problem is the ridiculously high prices and that is not an easy fix. The government has allowed medical monopolies. Do they have the willpower to break up the monopolies. I don't believe that they do and so we are stuck with a stalemate

A snapshot of how crazy things are;

Average cost for a vaginal delivery is $30,000 http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-costs/

More than half of births are covered under Medicaid http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator ... -medicaid/
Don't Blink

Return to In the News