Strange Weird and Funny news

Monster Blizzard Forces Cancellation of Global Warming Rally

Postby mugley » 30 Apr 17, 10:58 pm

rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Re: Monster Blizzard Forces Cancellation of Global Warming Rally

Postby Don't Blink » 01 May 17, 12:15 am

To be expected as warming at the polls causes a reduced Coriolis effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force), Which in turn slows Rossby waves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossby_wave). The timing of the cold snap was interesting even humorous. The marchers in Washington dealing with 90° temps probably wish they had some of that cold weather.

Speaking of interesting, water temperature measurements have been off the charts https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... raveling1/

If that sounds like unusually strong language from scientific American to you, I would agree.
Don't Blink

Postby mugley » 01 May 17, 3:14 am

yeah I wasn't trying to start anything, just liked the irony of the headline lol

and I have seen it snow in Denver about the middle of May
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 01 May 17, 9:09 am

Hasn't it snowed in Denver in June because of the mile high elevation? Seem to remember someone saying that when I was in Denver.

One thing about climate change that I am grateful for is that hurricanes have been few and far between for the last decade. Yes we have had some, but not nearly as many as in years past. On the other hand the Pacific has had an increase in cyclone intensity so they are not happy.

Speaking of Rossby waves, the Ohio Valley has been getting soaked this week. Last week it was our turn. Now with all of fresh water coming out of the rivers the fishing sucks.

Are you staying dry Mugley? As I recall you don't live so close to Tar River that you have to worry.

Edit: Looked it up and Date of Last Measurable Snow Last 10 Years:

April 30, 2016
May 10, 2015
May 12, 2014
May 2, 2013
April 3, 2012
May 11, 2011
May 12, 2010
April 27, 2009
May 14, 2008
April 14, 2007

Someone may have been pulling my leg when they said June
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby Angie G » 01 May 17, 1:08 pm

Climate change has more of an effect on those of us who expect to be alive in 50 years.
Angie G

Postby mugley » 01 May 17, 4:28 pm

Angie G wrote:Climate change has more of an effect on those of us who expect to be alive in 50 years.

I've been seeing predictions of gloom and doom made for the last 40 some years, according to those predictions we shouldn't be here now
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby mugley » 01 May 17, 4:28 pm

rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Don't Blink » 01 May 17, 6:07 pm

mugley wrote:
Angie G wrote:Climate change has more of an effect on those of us who expect to be alive in 50 years.

I've been seeing predictions of gloom and doom made for the last 40 some years, according to those predictions we shouldn't be here now

I am not nearly as old as you guys :mrgreen: , but I have been reading about gloom and doom For nearly 40 years too. The difference is that this crisis is not a planet that no one has seen, or an asteroid that no one is aware of(Although that is a valid possibility), or an Ice Age based on solar cycles that are difficult at best to protect ( Although again there is some new science out that may change that).
The measurements that are coming in from the poles are concerning. To most people a few degrees rise over the course of the season is not a cause for concern, but over the course of several seasons it begins to be worrying in part due to something called feedback amplification.

Some these feed-backs are worrying in ways that don't directly affect the temperature. As the ocean warms it becomes more acidic due to the inability to sequester CO2 that causes organisms at the bottom of the food chain to be unable to form a calcified shell. Given that a third of the inhabitants of this planet rely on oceans for the majority of their protein, this is a bit of a concern.

My opinion on this ,If anyone wants it, is that warming is coming but humanity will survive. There will be a lot of migration and there will be a need to adapt. Global warming not a good thing, but most of us will survive. We have adapted nicely to the current temperatures which have been stable for thousands of years and that has allowed humanity to reach 7,000,000,000+ people. Any change, be it warmer or colder will put a damper on the number of people this planet can host.

Took the time to read the Forbes article

The Forbes article that You mentioned is from Feb 13, 2013 and Mr. Taylor's bio which follows indicates that he is more a lobbyist than a scientist

James M. Taylor
Credentials

B.A. from Dartmouth College. [1]
J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law where he was president of the local chapter of the Federalist Society and founder and editor-in-chief of the Federalist Voice. [1]

Background

James McBee Taylor is president of the Spark of Freedom foundation, a Senior Fellow with the Heartland Institute and former managing editor (2001-2014) of the Heartland publication Environment & Climate News. Taylor also writes a column for Forbes magazine.

He has been a featured speaker at events sponsored by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), the State Policy Network (SPN), Cato Institute, Heritage Foundation, European Institute for Climate and Energy, and many others. [1]

Spark of Freedom

Spark of Freedom reports that its aims are to “influence public policy by promoting free markets, affordable energy, and common-sense energy and environment solutions.” According to its website, environmentalists should “should recognize the benefits of energy sources such as natural gas” It adds, that “federal, state, and local government policies restrict production and use of these valuable, common-ground energy sources need to change.”

Unfortunately the problem with most articles is that people don't write them just to express their opinion, they usually have a vested interest in something. Does that mean we shouldn't share them when we think they're interesting not at all. There is a diversity of opinion on the site. Because of that Bit of Fun does not take an official opinion on climate warming one way or the other.
Don't Blink

Postby mugley » 01 May 17, 8:34 pm

my point was that there has been a lot of gloom and doom predictions over the years and none of them have come true, so I am hesitant to bet on the present gloom and doom ones coming true now, not saying the might not be right but do need to be taken with a grain of salt I think. and there is scientists who have research that doesn't end in doom for us

Yes the climate might be warming, it should be, there was a mini ice age in the 1800's so naturally temps should be rising since then right?

Re: the Forbes article, my apologies I didn't notice the date or know that about the author and while his beliefs makes it necessary to take his facts with a grain of salt, doesn't mean there isn't true, I dunno, its hard to know what to believe these days, like you say, everyone has an agenda
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 07 May 17, 5:11 pm

People can be forgiven for wondering what is going on. This story at the top of Drudge (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... s-plummet/) screams there is an "Arctic ice panic as world temperatures plummet". The site claims that according to the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI), since December temperatures in the Arctic have consistently lower than -20 Celsius.

Okay :scratch: But that is only -4 Fahrenheit and is good bit warmer than usual for this time a year in the Arctic.

A quick trip to the Danish meteorological Institute site will confirm that the temperatures in the Arctic have been warmer than usual so far and were a good bit warmer than usual in 2016. http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php If anything scientists were expecting temperatures to fall more than they have, given that 2015 – beginning of 2016 we had an active El Niño

People read headlines and expect them to be true without having to fact check the story. The writers and reporters are suppose to fact check the stories they write. Surely the people writing the article can't be that dumb. The only conclusion one can draw is that they are intentionally misleading people. Is it because they are writing something they think will get picked up by Drudge, which will send millions of views and thousands of dollars in advertising revenue? Are they just printing lies for money?
Jack Flash

Postby Don't Blink » 07 May 17, 8:58 pm

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2017/ ... ontinents/

Think the name of the game is selling ad space.
Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 08 May 17, 9:06 am

True - I wasn't saying they were dumb. I was saying that they are intentionally misleading people. Whether that's just for dollars or to support an agenda I don't know, and doesn't make a difference. Here is another example http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... ge-weather But at least no one takes the daily Star seriously :lmao:

There are local cooling scenarios that are valid particularly for Europe based on the slowdown of the Thermohaline circulation (THC) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation

As of today the only valid theory that could lead to global cooling is the peer reviewed research by Valentina Zharkova http://www.iflscience.com/environment/m ... l-warming/ The study backing up the story http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... ld.iop.org

The global warming people want to deny the validity of that research they can not as it is peer-reviewed. And of course papers can't run that story over and over people will get tired reading it.

It's hard to make good decisions on valid research when lots of bull shit is being put out there. It is hard to find accurate information between the global warming alarmists and the global warming deniers, and to make matters worse facts don't sell papers.
Jack Flash

Postby Angie G » 09 May 17, 4:01 pm

:scratch: Is it going to get warmer or is it going to get colder? You do not need to explain the whole process
Angie G

Postby Jack Flash » 10 May 17, 9:35 am

The general consensus is that it will get warmer - but there is great variation on by how much (every thing from a few degrees to oh shit). My personal opinion is that temperatures will warm 1-2C by mid 2020s then go into a holding pattern due to sun inactivity until late 2050s before rising again.

I know you asked me not to explain, but the problem is we don't know a lot of stuff and that is why research is important. For example, Methane rising in the water column was always considered a very bad thing. Turns out it may not be so bad after all http://grist.org/briefly/some-methane-e ... te-change/ the study http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/05/02/1618926114 We can't afford to ignore contradictory hypotheses, if based on real science, just because they disagree with what we believe. They all have to be included for an accurate picture.

Really my big argument is with junk science and bogus stories with pronouncements they pull out of their ass - everything is so partisan and they do this on both sides.
Jack Flash

Postby Don't Blink » 10 May 17, 4:09 pm

Don't Blink

Postby mugley » 10 May 17, 5:11 pm

"Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe."
— Euripides
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 11 May 17, 9:56 am

:lmao: I don't believe you

Something new every day isn't it. And very little of it seems to be good
Jack Flash

Postby Angie G » 11 May 17, 2:32 pm

To be honest after a while I just tune it all out

That and it's just too depressing to contemplate http://arctic-news.blogspot.ca/2017/05/ ... -fast.html
Angie G

Postby Jack Flash » 18 May 17, 12:28 pm

Moreover, the rise doesn't stop there and the trend points at a 10°C rise as early as the year 2021.

That article is nothing more than fear-mongering masquerading as science. No credible scientist is claiming those numbers. If you want to get a rational picture of what is likely, stick with what is peer reviewed, or at least look for it here https://scholar.google.com/

Credibility works in both directions. People question deniers because the science doesn't agree. They should also question alarmists, and for exactly the same reason.
Jack Flash

Postby Don't Blink » 25 May 17, 8:53 pm

Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 26 May 17, 8:51 am

Didn't say ( as you know) it's not warming. I'm saying we need to stick to the facts on how much warming.

As Sgt Joe Friday said "Just the facts ma'm".
Jack Flash

Postby Don't Blink » 26 May 17, 8:06 pm

http://spaceweather.com/glossary/sunspotnumber.html Are you sure the sun may be getting ready to dim ;)
Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 27 May 17, 8:50 am

Not taking the bait :razz:
Jack Flash

Postby Angie G » 09 Jun 17, 3:34 pm

:laughing: :laughing: the two of you do wind each other up
Angie G

Next

Return to In the News