using evaporation for power

Strange Weird and Funny news

using evaporation for power

Postby mugley » 27 Sep 17, 8:14 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AAsuIXI

Don't let that energy vanish into thin air

When conversation turns to sources of clean renewable energy, evaporation usually isn’t the first thing to come up—if it even comes up at all.

Yet scientists think evaporation from U.S. lakes and reservoirs could generate almost 70 percent of the power the nation produces now. Even better, it could meet demand both day and night, solving the intermittency problems posed by solar and wind.

“Evaporation occurs day and night, all year round,” said Ahmet-Hamdi Cavusoglu, a graduate student at Columbia University and lead author of a new study published in the journal Nature Communications that calculated the possible future impact of evaporation as a renewable energy source. “By controlling evaporation, we can store and control the power output, allowing us to potentially provide reliable energy on demand without needing batteries and other energy storage methods."

but don't get too excited just yet

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6089 ... ge-caveat/

A new study suggests we could tap into natural evaporation for a huge part of our energy needs, but it would come at a high cost to our freshwater resources.
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Re: using evaporation for power

Postby Jack Flash » 27 Sep 17, 9:28 am

If it could be done efficiently and affordably, the devices could provide more than 325 gigawatts of electricity-generating capacity, outpacing coal, according to a study published Tuesday in Nature Communications.

That, however, would require covering the surface of every lake and reservoir larger than 0.1 square kilometers in the lower 48 states

Always a caveat :?
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Return to In the News