notable quotes

Funny, interesting and entertaining facts

notable quotes

Postby Don't Blink » 02 Apr 11, 10:13 pm

"Naturally, the common people don't want war ... but after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." [Hermann Goering]

"The unwilling, led by the incompetent, to do the unnecessary, for the ungrateful" [found inscribed on a vietnam-era coffin]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." [ Theodore Roosevelt ]

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." [ Dwight Eisenhower ]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." [ Benjamin Franklin ]

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." [James Madison]

"War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength." [Big Brother]
Don't Blink

Re: notible quotes

Postby Jack Flash » 03 Apr 11, 7:36 am

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 03 Apr 11, 7:40 am

very strong points to ponder
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 03 Apr 11, 7:45 am

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me. - Pastor Martin Niemoller

Interesting historical note

Martin Niemöller was a German pastor and theologian born in Lippstadt, Germany, in 1892. Niemöller was an anti-Communist and supported Hitler's rise to power at first. But when Hitler insisted on the supremacy of the state over religion, Niemöller became disillusioned. He became the leader of a group of German clergymen opposed to Hitler. Unlike Niemöller, they gave in to the Nazis' threats.

In 1937 he was arrested and eventually confined in the Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. His crime was "not being enthusiastic enough about the Nazi movement."

Niemöller was released in 1945 by the Allies. He continued his career in Germany as a clergyman and as a leading voice of penance and reconciliation for the German people after World War II. His statement, sometimes presented as a poem, is well-known, frequently quoted, and is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control.
Jack Flash

Postby cerina » 08 Apr 11, 6:49 pm

Those are all powerful and thought provoking quotes.

Proof that some things never change ...

"Written laws are like spider's webs; they will catch, it is true, the weak and poor, but would be torn in pieces by the rich and powerful." - Anacharsis - 6th Century BC

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

“The young are permanently in a state resembling intoxication.” - Aristotle

"A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side." - Aristotle

And finally ...

"My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates :mrgreen:
cerina

Postby Don't Blink » 12 Apr 11, 6:56 pm

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy"

-James Madison
Don't Blink

Re: notable quotes

Postby mugley » 20 Nov 15, 2:56 pm

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
-Edith Wharton

A year from now you will wish you had started today.
-Karen Lamb

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
-John F. Kennedy

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
-Andre Gide

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
- Albert Einstein

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
-Helen Keller

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
-Albert Einstein

Talent perceives differences; genius, unity.
-William Butler Yeats

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.
-Steve Jobs

Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
-Swami Sivananda

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
-Anne Frank

All great changes are preceded by chaos.
-Deepak Chopra

The greatest mistake you can make in your life is to be continually fearing you will make one.
-Elbert Hubbard

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
-Margaret Mead

Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.
-C.S Lewis

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
-Charles Spurgeon

We're losing social skills, the human interaction skills, how to read a person's mood, to read their body language, how to be patient until the moment is right to make or press a point. Too much exclusive use of electronic information dehumanizes what is a very, very important part of community life and living together.
-Vincent Nichols

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas A. Edison

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.
-Aristotle

Try to keep your mind open to possibilities and your mouth closed on matters that you don't know about. Limit your 'always' and your 'nevers.'
-Amy Poehler

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Re: notable quotes

Postby Jack Flash » 20 Nov 15, 3:06 pm

:thumb: good quotes
Jack Flash

Return to Fact of the Day