Anabaptists

Funny, interesting and entertaining facts

Anabaptists

Postby Jack Flash » 03 Jun 16, 9:20 am

In the 16th century, Christians called the Anabaptists did not partake in infant baptism, instead believing that only free-willed adults could decide for themselves to be baptized. They were persecuted and killed by the dominant Christian religion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptists

Anabaptists are Christians who believe in delaying baptism until the candidate confesses his or her faith in Christ, as opposed to being baptized as an infant. The Amish, Hutterites, and Mennonites are direct descendants of the movement
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Re: Anabaptists

Postby mugley » 03 Jun 16, 4:40 pm

ok I always thought Baptists did wait till the person was old enough to make the choice, not at birth, my church is similar to baptists and we do wait
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Re: Anabaptists

Postby Jack Flash » 04 Jun 16, 12:43 pm

Yes that is where Baptist comes from

The name Anabaptist means "one who baptizes again" and was given to them by their persecutors in reference to the practice of re-baptizing converts who already had been baptized as infants. Anabaptists were heavily persecuted because of their views on the nature of baptism and other issues, by both Protestants and Catholics.

A large number of those fleeing persecution came to the US
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Return to Fact of the Day