Little Mistakes -> Titanic Consequences

Learn a little about yourself or someone else

Little Mistakes -> Titanic Consequences

Postby RenaissanceMan » 17 May 12, 7:02 pm

In some instances, a single solitary mistake or oversight can have tragic or even fatal consequences. But more often it is the case that a series of mistakes were involved. Take the case of the Titanic, please.

April 15, 1912, Captain Edward Smith in command.
My quiz, my question, my quandry posed to you is simply this:

Can you name one, and only one, factor which played a part in the loss of some 1514 lives?
No duplications, please. The factor can range from how the collision might have been prevented, to
the saving of a single life - always important to the person saved.

Feel free to place them in the correct sequence, as best we can ascertain. Start with 1.
Relocate and renumber earlier factors. There will be more of them than you might have thought.

Problem solving with perfect hindsight may help you avoid future dilemmas you encounter. Or, you can simply
scream and jump up and down like the silly little girl I tried to talk sense to in the middle of a busy freeway, after her minor
fender bender.

All aboard! Cast off.
RenaissanceMan

Re: Little Mistakes -> Titanic Consequences

Postby Don't Blink » 17 May 12, 7:34 pm

If the Olympic under Smith's command had not collided with HMS Hawke necessitating repairs using borrowed parts of the Titanic, the Titanic would have sailed earlier in ice free waters

if you had not run into that poor girl, she would not be so.... Oh wait that's another question :lmao:
Don't Blink

Postby RenaissanceMan » 17 May 12, 9:24 pm

1. If the rivets used in assembling plates to Titanic's hull had not been substandard, the damage would not have been as extensive. Just a 20% reduction of the seven-ton-per-second flooding might have been controllable.- RenaissanceMan

2. If the Olympic under Smith's command had not collided with HMS Hawke necessitating repairs using borrowed parts of the Titanic, the Titanic would have sailed earlier in ice free waters. - Don'tBlink [Well done. Truly a BFD. A corollary of Smith's collision is that perhaps it should have disqualified him to command the Titanic. - RennaisanceMan]
RenaissanceMan

Postby Skunch » 18 May 12, 12:19 am

I saw the movie a few back.....not impressed!! :beer:
ImageImage
Skunch

Postby RenaissanceMan » 18 May 12, 3:11 pm

Skunch wrote:I saw the movie a few back.....not impressed!! :beer:

Good for you, Skunch. I was even less impressed with your failure to stay on topic.
Some call it "trolling."
RenaissanceMan

Postby Jack Flash » 18 May 12, 3:15 pm

RenaissanceMan wrote:

Good for you, Skunch. I was even less impressed with your failure to stay on topic.
Some call it "trolling."

Be nice, this is a humor forum. If you can't play well with others - don't play here.
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby johno » 18 May 12, 3:24 pm

if someone was watching where they were steaming and avoided the iceberg it would nt a sunk huh. :banghead: sounds to me like drivin a car with your eye s wide shut.
that was a big berg. :lol: was nt it?
johno

Postby Skunch » 19 May 12, 6:19 am

RenaissanceMan wrote:

Some call it "trolling."

I guess I never gave 2 shits about that or other boats in my life.....kinda da wrong area for this type of topics anyhoo....enjoy yer stay here!! :cool: :cool:
ImageImage
Skunch

Postby RenaissanceMan » 20 May 12, 1:13 pm

Jack Flash wrote:
RenaissanceMan wrote:

Some call it "trolling."

Be nice, this is a humor forum. If you can't play well with others - don't play here.

Pay attention. The subject is "Quizzes, Quandaries and Questions".

I titled the thread "Titanic Consequences" and asked for people to comment on what was done wrong that contributed to deaths.
How might people have been saved. Skunch ignored my request and commented that he "saw the movie."

Instead of reprimanding Skunch, you come after me.

Why don't you share the "humor" in Skunch's remarks, and then tell everyone how Skunch added an observation as I requested.

Skunch didn't "play well" with me. It's my thread. I started it. Seems like a little courtesy is in order for someone new here who at least made a decent effort.
RenaissanceMan

Postby RenaissanceMan » 20 May 12, 1:28 pm

Skunch wrote:

I guess I never gave 2 shits about that or other boats in my life.....kinda da wrong area for this type of topics anyhoo....enjoy yer stay here!! :cool: :cool:

WOW !

Funny, Skunch. Right JackFlash?

"Never gave 2 shits." That's right on topic.

Quizzes, Quandaries and Questions

Why don't you define for EVERYONE precisely what questions are acceptable to YOU, oh great and humorous wise one.

JackFlash will immediately come to YOUR beer drinking aid, and all your friends will laugh.

Say, you two weren't camped out in some of those "Occupy" tents, were you? With the long hair, and "gimme" attitude...

Whoa, funny. Those "Occupy" dudes are just so funny.

---------------------------------

Back to the topic, which the "Bit of Fun" crowd seems to have missed altogether.

I know, thinking is hard. But your first contributor was spot on.

1. Captain Smith collided with another ship, resulting in the driveshaft being removed from the Titanic to repair the Olympic. This was a deadly delay.
2. Inferior quality rivets were used in Titanic's construction.
3. Captain Smith should not have been placed in command of the Titanic, given his earlier collision.
4. Captain Smith failed to instruct his engineers to break the damned case open where the binoculars were housed. Titanic's lookouts were limited by lack of binoculars, locked up in a cabinet. How stupid can you get!
5. Titanic did not deviate sufficiently to the south, even after repeated warnings.
6. The Californian radio operator repeatedly warned Titanic of icebergs, whereupon the Titanic radio operator said "Shut up, shut up." Californian's radio operator shut his radio off and went to bed. Therefore he did not hear the SOS appeals.
7. The Californian's Officer on Deck advised the Californian's captain that he saw rockets from Titanic. California's skipper told him not to worry about them.
8. Half empty lifeboats were inexcusable - a gross dereliction of duty by Captain Smith in particular.
9. Smith should have ordered all lifeboats to be loaded to their stated capacity plus ten more children, or light women. This would have saved many hundreds.
10. Everyone getting into a lifeboat should have removed their life jackets.
11. Every table, chair, and stick of wood from all levels, particularly deck chairs, should have been assembled into four-man rafts, with life jackets secured to the four corners for buoyancy. Hundreds more lives could have been saved using such rafts.

What part of "Quizzes Quandaries and Questions" do you not understand, JackFlash?
RenaissanceMan

Postby cerina » 20 May 12, 8:59 pm

12. Giving priority to First Class travellers when accessing lifeboats, therefore condemning many in 3rd class to their deaths. There were over 1000 3rd class passengers and everyone should have been given the same degree of consideration.

You may not have noticed, RennaisanceMan, that we rarely keep on topic on this forum but we do not consider it trolling if it is done in a humerous way. However, in Quizzes and Quandaries, we do usually come back to topic. That is what makes this such a fun forum. There are few things that we consider unacceptable ... we do not allow spamming (you may have noticed the absence of such posts and that is because the admins are pretty vigilant), and won't tolerate abuse. Apart from that, we are a pretty tolerant bunch and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
cerina

Postby cerina » 20 May 12, 9:00 pm

12. Giving priority to First Class travellers when accessing lifeboats, therefore condemning many in 3rd class to their deaths. There were over 1000 3rd class passengers and everyone should have been given the same degree of consideration.

You may not have noticed, RennaisanceMan, that we rarely keep on topic on this forum but we do not consider it trolling if it is done in a humorous way. However, in Quizzes and Quandaries, we do usually come back to topic. That is what makes this such a fun forum. There are few things that we consider unacceptable ... we do not allow spamming (you may have noticed the absence of such posts and that is because the admins are pretty vigilant), and won't tolerate abuse. Apart from that, we are a pretty tolerant bunch and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

p.s There is an excellent Titanic museum recently opened not far from me in Southampton, Hampshire (the UK one) which is well worth a visit if you are ever down that way.
cerina

Postby Skunch » 21 May 12, 6:15 am

Say, you two weren't camped out in some of those "Occupy" tents, were you? With the long hair, and "gimme" attitude...

Whoa, funny. Those "Occupy" dudes are just so funny.

Way ta stay on topic as well as I seemed to have not......soooo f-ing funny!! :o :o
ImageImage
Skunch

Return to Quizzes, Quandaries and Questions