Heavy snowfalls hit Romania

It really bites the big one - vent you'll feel better

Re: Heavy snowfalls hit Romania

Postby cerina » 05 Feb 12, 5:26 pm

The ice frightens me far more than fresh snow. :?

But it can looks so stunning. I remember one year we were in Germany for Christmas but decided to leave on Christmas eve because, looking at the weather forecast, it was likely to be the last day we would be able to travel for about a week. Driving along the autobahns was an amazing experience. It was a gloriously sunny day but every piece of foliage, every branch, leaf and blade of grass was covered in ice and it was all twinkling in the sun. I kept saying to Uwe "It is so beautiful" because I had never seen anything like it in my life.

A couple of days before, we had been to visit my father-out-law and his wife and there was ice-rain when we left. I had to drive as Uwe had had a couple of beers ( :drunken: ) and he kept nagging me to drive faster. When we got to his mother's house, he got out of the car, landed on his bottom and decided it was as icy as I said it had been. :lmao: The next day, the whole of the car was covered with 2.5cm (an inch) of ice and was anchored to the road with icicles.
cerina

Postby breeze » 10 Feb 12, 12:57 pm

Romania these days. :? Snow is as big as a house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby Jack Flash » 10 Feb 12, 4:55 pm

I don't see anyone in their bathing suit making a snow angle ;)
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby cerina » 13 Feb 12, 2:01 am

They were making lots of snow angles with their shovels, Jack. ;)

That is horrendous, Breeze. When was the last time you had snow that bad? I hope you are safe and warm. :hug: :hug: :hug:
cerina

Postby breeze » 13 Feb 12, 8:41 am

It was in '54, but I was not born then, I only saw pictures, movies and heard about that. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby breeze » 13 Feb 12, 9:52 am

We have to go back in town and they closed all the roads in and out Bucharest. :banghead: We have to find a way, because it's snowing and snowing and if we don't leave now... :scratch: we can stay here for long, long time. :cussing:
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby mugley » 13 Feb 12, 11:35 am

Breeze, ya'll be carefull and stay in touch, I gotta enough to worry about, k?
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Postby mugley » 13 Feb 12, 11:38 am

yeah that probably didn't come out like I meant it, but you know what I mean, just damn be careful and safe
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby cerina » 13 Feb 12, 3:49 pm

I can only echo what Mugley said, Breeze. Please stay safe and let us know you arrived back safely. :hug: :hug: :hug:
cerina

Postby breeze » 13 Feb 12, 4:20 pm

Thank you so much, Mugley and Cerina . :hug: :hug:
We are home. Finally. They opened few roads. Main roads. So, we could come in Bucharest.
But no one cleaned the small roads here. The main roads, yes... We made 13 km in 2 hours.
But that was not all. I will post some pictures with small roads. Under 20-30 cm of snow is ice. Like glass.
We saw on one of this roads a car trying to move, but because of the ice and big snow it was impossible. For us was also impossible to move, it was space for only one car. We tried to push that car but it was impossible. After half an hour we decided to come from the opposite side (using an other small road) and to pull that car with a cable (?). We did that very difficult because it was ice under the snow, but we brought those people few streets away, at home. We helped them to park and and they were so grateful and happy. We said good bye to them and tried to move our car. :banghead: It's a big car a 4x4 Jeep Comander, but we couldn't do that. It was sliding(?) is that the word? :scratch:
Those people were desperate because they couldn't help us at all. We have a shovel in the car and we tried to (well the boys, not me) make space in the snow for the wheels. Impossible. It was our luck that an other big car (a Toyota land Cruiser) was on the street and they helped us with the cable. We moved the car and put it in safer place. We were all frozen and the first people invited us in their home to drink a hot tea. After 15 minute we left and tried to move the car again. Impossible. No other big car was around us. :D Even if the car was on I don't know what "heavy" system, the ice under the wheels was stronger.
My husband and that nice gentleman (with the tea) decided I should drive :lmao: and they pushed the car. We made balance and in few minutes I did it, I moved the car. :clap:
I don't know if I was very coherent :lmao: but I'm sure you understand.
Now it's still snowing like hell. I don't want to think what it will be tomorrow. :? It doesn't matter how strong and big the car is, if it is ice under the snow....is useless.
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby cerina » 13 Feb 12, 5:26 pm

That looks horrendous, Breeze. I am so glad you are home and in the warm. :hug: If the weather was like that here, there is no way I would be able to get out. I have a 22 year old Mercedes and they are rear-wheel drive which is why a lot of people in Germany carry a couple of bags of sand or cement in the boot in winter to give it some added weight. I carry a bag of rock-salt in mine ... in case I get stuck somewhere it might just give me enough grip to get moving.

When Uwe was home, the year before last, the only way I could get the car out of our parking place was for Uwe to drive it while I sat in the boot!! :lmao: :lmao:
cerina

Postby Jack Flash » 13 Feb 12, 6:03 pm

Winter wonderland :cool:

Sand, oildry, rocksalt, JackDaniels and a shovel will help you survive the snow
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 13 Feb 12, 6:45 pm

wow glad you made it back :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Don't Blink » 13 Feb 12, 9:10 pm

BUCHAREST, Romania — Military planes flew in tons of emergency food Monday to towns and villages in eastern Romania where thousands have been stranded by blizzards. Some people had to cut tunnels through 15 feet (4 meters) of snow to get out of their homes. - http://www.wral.com/weather/story/10721289/ [23Pics]
Don't Blink

Postby breeze » 14 Feb 12, 3:42 pm

That is what I'm talking about. :D
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby cerina » 14 Feb 12, 4:00 pm

I guess they forgot to grit the roads. :lmao:
cerina

Postby cerina » 15 Feb 12, 4:13 pm

cerina

Postby breeze » 16 Feb 12, 2:09 pm

:mrgreen:
bit-of-fun-1.jpg
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby breeze » 17 Feb 12, 12:55 pm

:cool:
I'm a fan of Bit of Fun.
breeze

Postby cerina » 17 Feb 12, 8:41 pm

:eek: That is terrifying.
cerina

Previous

Return to This really Sucks