Welcome to The Great Debate!

A slippery soapbox indeed

Welcome to The Great Debate!

Postby Quercus » 19 Apr 05, 5:51 pm

There appears to be a lot of smart members on this forum who are capable of posting more than just smilies or one-liners. So here’s your chance to express yourself, and your opinion.

The only rules are:
No Personal Attacks
Stick to the Topic

And remember....this is the Bit of Fun Forum so even though we may be engaging in serious debate it's still all in the name of fun.

We've started you off with a few debate questions, but please feel free to come up with some topics of your own.

Let the debate begin!
User avatar
Quercus
 
Posts: 5564
Joined: 13 Jan 05, 8:24 pm
Location: Michigan


Postby Dixie » 19 Apr 05, 5:54 pm

Suggestion # 1 What is ADD and how do we keep the guys on topic?
User avatar
Dixie
 
Posts: 3660
Joined: 07 Sep 04, 5:27 am
Location: Hot Lanta


Postby Khaizerex » 19 Apr 05, 6:00 pm

You can drag us around by ours noses, should you wish to do so. I know a lot of people who have ADD, and they belong to both genders.
I live in your head, I can be found in your dreams. Rest peacefully, I will guard over you.
User avatar
Khaizerex
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: 25 Dec 04, 9:20 pm
Location: in your dreams...


Postby Dixie » 19 Apr 05, 6:12 pm

If I am not mistaken the numbers are about 50 / 50 for ADD but heavily weighted towards boys for ADHD
User avatar
Dixie
 
Posts: 3660
Joined: 07 Sep 04, 5:27 am
Location: Hot Lanta


Postby Khaizerex » 19 Apr 05, 6:14 pm

I see.

Though I think they would be up and about and not really sitting down at a computer to read stuff and type into it.
I live in your head, I can be found in your dreams. Rest peacefully, I will guard over you.
User avatar
Khaizerex
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: 25 Dec 04, 9:20 pm
Location: in your dreams...


Postby Dixie » 19 Apr 05, 6:25 pm

You would also think that ADD/ ADHD would not have the patience for video games but that would be wrong
User avatar
Dixie
 
Posts: 3660
Joined: 07 Sep 04, 5:27 am
Location: Hot Lanta


Postby Khaizerex » 19 Apr 05, 6:29 pm

Or movies. But yes, I know, they all do.

I've a friend who is like that. He's constantly watching TV and playing video games, hard to think that he has anything like ADD.
I live in your head, I can be found in your dreams. Rest peacefully, I will guard over you.
User avatar
Khaizerex
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: 25 Dec 04, 9:20 pm
Location: in your dreams...


Postby wewe008 » 27 Apr 05, 9:42 am

I like debate with my boyfriend,and after every debate,
he always say I ride roughshod over him.(of course he's joking)
:lol:
I'll obey the rules here,and support Quercus!
User avatar
wewe008
 
Posts: 639
Joined: 21 Apr 05, 9:46 pm
Location: China


Postby aw_true » 04 Jun 05, 9:18 am

Dixie wrote:Suggestion # 1 What is ADD and how do we keep the guys on topic?



argh yes ive heard of attention dixie disorder :roll:
its quite catchy i believe
User avatar
aw_true
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 May 05, 1:43 am
Location: nz


Postby Sting » 04 Jun 05, 10:23 am

aw_true wrote:argh yes ive heard of attention dixie disorder :roll:
its quite catchy i believe


Once you get it it's hard to get rid of. :cool:
Searching for that sweet little honey pot? Go to http://www.bitoffun.com
User avatar
Sting
 
Posts: 14645
Joined: 14 Jan 05, 4:01 pm
Location: Kalamazoo


Postby fat_bastard » 28 Aug 05, 6:39 am

oh dear, maybe i have it, please tell me the symptoms...
and is this just a normall debate, or a mass debate? *ducks thrown knives*
User avatar
fat_bastard
 
Posts: 7990
Joined: 30 Jul 05, 8:22 am
Location: :noitacoL


Postby lisa.loves.99 » 18 Feb 06, 7:13 pm

ok guys i work with children with special needs: autism, add, adhd, etc.
ADD is a disorder closely tied in with autism the figures are 9 out of 10 with autism also suffer from adhd. the symtoms:
-not listening unless they are making eye contact with the person speaking to them

-Often blurting out answers before questions are completed.

_ Having difficulty in following instructions.

_ Having difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.

_Often shifting from one uncompleted task to another.

_ Having difficulty playing quietly.

_Often talking excessively.

_ Often interrupting or intruding on others.

_ Often not listening to what is being said.

_Often forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities.

Often engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.

that is just a couple and yes it affects males more so than females
User avatar
lisa.loves.99
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 27 Jan 06, 7:20 pm
Location: ireland


Postby Flight From Ashiya » 06 Mar 06, 6:17 pm

lisa.loves.99 wrote:...........Often engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.....


:oops:

I can't help it. I love posting up risque  photos on 'Bit Of Fun Forum'.

:mrgreen:
User avatar
Flight From Ashiya
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: 13 Jul 05, 12:51 pm
Location: close to celebrity dustbins


Postby missm3 » 26 Mar 06, 1:37 am

lisa.loves.99 wrote:ok guys i work with children with special needs: autism, add, adhd, etc.
ADD is a disorder closely tied in with autism the figures are 9 out of 10 with autism also suffer from adhd. the symtoms:
-not listening unless they are making eye contact with the person speaking to them

-Often blurting out answers before questions are completed.

_ Having difficulty in following instructions.

_ Having difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.

_Often shifting from one uncompleted task to another.

_ Having difficulty playing quietly.

_Often talking excessively.

_ Often interrupting or intruding on others.

_ Often not listening to what is being said.

_Often forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities.

Often engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.

that is just a couple and yes it affects males more so than females



Yes i can undrestand that also i work with children ages 0-6 and everything you have pointer out seems to alot of children in general isnt not listening and forgetfullness often not listening interrupting and the rest just a part of growing up and learning ? I know they would have been a few things i did when i grew up. You cannot expect children to have 100%  of there attention thats the point of growing up learning what ypu can and cant get away with ....isnt it? I belive that ADD ADHD  is mostly a lack of parents authority over there own children because they have this sad excuse that they can get a doctors certificate for therfore they dont have to be boterd in actually paying attention to there children and making boundaries for them .
User avatar
missm3
 
Posts: 424
Joined: 11 Feb 06, 11:56 pm
Location: australia


Postby cerina » 26 Mar 06, 8:21 am

Maybe you should read "Only a Mother Could Love Him" by Ben Polis. He is someone with severe ADD/ADHD and has written a book about it. Very interesting reading, especially if you are a bit sceptical about whether it exists.
Last edited by mid_nite_poet on 11 Jul 09, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dead link removed
User avatar
cerina
 
Posts: 55709
Joined: 14 Jul 05, 8:17 pm
Location: Thuththex by the Thea (female)


Postby Angie G » 26 Mar 06, 12:08 pm

Oh it exists .... and runs along family lines
User avatar
Angie G
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: 30 Aug 04, 2:46 pm
Location: Outerbanks



Return to The Great Debate



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests