Are Our Energy Sources Moral?

A slippery soapbox indeed

Are Our Energy Sources Moral?

Postby mugley » 26 May 14, 6:08 pm

http://blog.heritage.org/2014/05/26/mor ... ap-energy/

Of course, every form of energy – from nuclear power to wind mills – involves risks and costs. But there’s a wonderful new essay out by energy expert Kathleen Hartnett White of the Texas Public Policy Foundation. It is called, provocatively: “The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels.”

Her thesis is fairly logical when you think about it: “Affordable energy is the wellspring of life itself. We use it for food, shelter, clothing and everything that we need to live a productive life.”
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Re: Are Our Energy Sources Moral?

Postby Angie G » 26 May 14, 8:04 pm

:eek:
Angie G

Postby Jack Flash » 27 May 14, 10:41 am

Coal and Oil is moral and nuclear, wind and solar are not. All I can say is :wtf:

My personal inclination is that renewable resources would be more moral. Going a step farther I'd say renewable energy sources that promote self reliance are preferred.

What if we choose our energy policy based on economic viability
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 27 May 14, 1:29 pm

ok t get back to you later, the articles make sense in some ways in regards to the poor and letting prvate enterprise develope things
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 27 May 14, 2:49 pm

okay

To me, painting an economic decision as a moral decision makes no sense. Plus fossil fuel is not the least expensive. Hydro Electric currently holds that title.
Forbes article on the cost of energy - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/ ... subsidies/

You gonna give me this one :lmao: :lmao: probably not

btw solar is down is cost 50% is the last 3 years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Flash

Postby celia-wright » 28 May 14, 2:53 pm

There is nothing moral about forcing people to use fossil fuels
http://www.energyandpolicy.org/renewabl ... cks-report

Everyone has the right to be funded The public also has the right to know who funds what groups
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... Foundation
celia-wright

Postby mugley » 01 Jun 14, 7:49 am

there is also nothing moral about artificially inflating prices of things people who are barely getting by need to survive and live, most estimates say that there is over 400 years of fossil fuels left at the present rate of consumption, you don't think in that time frame there will be much better energy sources found and implemented?

funded by who? private enterprise? i fully agree they do have that right, by the govt? not so much
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Don't Blink » 01 Jun 14, 10:12 am

Just my $.02.

Sure government regulation inflates prices to a degree, but nothing like the degree that a monopoly or oligopoly tends to inflate prices.

Multiple sources of energy will bring the cost of joules down. The least expensive source of energy should be favored. For example; in Arizona solar may be the best choice, while in Alaska due to the cost of transport nuclear may be the best choice, while in North Carolina Coal may be the best choice.

If there is an automatic assumption is that fossil fuel is the cheapest, then that skews the economic results. Each energy source should stand on it's own economic merits.
Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 02 Jun 14, 12:41 pm

Most people do not realize the extent to which the fossil fuel industry villainized the nuclear fuel industry. Take a look at this video on aircraft carriers starting at the 35 min. mark http://youtu.be/uhxneZc0XMM?t=34m55s and you will be able to see how much progress has been made in nuclear power, by comparing the propulsion from the enterprise class carrier, with the propulsion from the Nimitz class carriers. Is the fossil fuel industry doing the same thing to their other competitors? You can count on it.
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 02 Jun 14, 1:17 pm

oh I am sure they are, don;t forget the tree huggers opposition to nuclear power as well tho

yes we do need to find alternatives to fossil fuels, I just think it would be very wrong to limit fossil fuels with out there being a good, efficient and viable source in place, and my personal feeling is that private enterprise can do a better job of getting us to that than the govt
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 02 Jun 14, 1:59 pm

mugley wrote:oh I am sure they are, don;t forget the tree huggers opposition to nuclear power as well tho

avid environmentalists ;)

mugley wrote:yes we do need to find alternatives to fossil fuels, I just think it would be very wrong to limit fossil fuels with out there being a good, efficient and viable source in place, and my personal feeling is that private enterprise can do a better job of getting us to that than the govt

But they can and should block predatory tactics by one industry over another (keep the playing field level)
Jack Flash

Postby Don't Blink » 02 Jun 14, 9:29 pm

This will get the power companies attention
http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2014 ... -industry/
Don't Blink

Postby mugley » 02 Jun 14, 10:42 pm

Jack Flash wrote:
mugley wrote:oh I am sure they are, don;t forget the tree huggers opposition to nuclear power as well tho

avid environmentalists ;)

mugley wrote:yes we do need to find alternatives to fossil fuels, I just think it would be very wrong to limit fossil fuels with out there being a good, efficient and viable source in place, and my personal feeling is that private enterprise can do a better job of getting us to that than the govt

But they can and should block predatory tactics by one industry over another (keep the playing field level)

agreed but since we know who contributes the most money to re-election campaigns....................
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Return to The Great Debate