Garlic bread

feed me

Garlic bread

Postby ScornedVixen » 10 Jul 09, 8:59 am

Every time I tried to make my own garlic bread, it never turns out right. After spending a week in France I finally know where I went wrong!

You have to use clarified butter!!!

The simple method to this is to melt the butter and let it simmer, skim the froth (I think the curds and whey) from the butter, once you have clarified butter, turn off the heat, add in raw squashed garlic, don't chop them too finely. Mix, pour them into a glass jar, leave to cool, if possible stir the mixture as the butter sets so that the garlic is evenly dispersed.

Once set, you use them like butter, spread thickly on baguette and pop them in the oven to cook. You can also use this garlic butter to spread on a chicken prior to cooking, use them to cook vegetables or whatever. It's interesting to note that we never got bitten by mosquitos while in France, I think the garlic repels them, or at least I hope it does. So we're dousing ourselves in garlic, as we've seen a mosquito in here in Wales! :eek:

There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about me.
How cool and interesting was that?!

ScornedVixen

Re: Garlic bread

Postby Lonestar » 11 Jul 09, 1:37 am

This reminds me of Graham Kerr, the "Galloping Gourmet," whom my mother loved. He used clarified butter in many of his dishes.

Garlic is a known natural repellent of mosquitoes [click] and of other *ahem* pests. :mrgreen:
Lonestar / EtoileSolitaire / Einsamerstern / EstrellaSolitaria / ОдинокаяЗвезда

*PLEASE VISIT!* Lonestar Enterprises [click]
Lonestar

Postby ScornedVixen » 13 Jul 09, 1:43 pm

You're not a pest Lonestar! Don't underestimate yourself :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for that, interesting to note some things on that list, one thing I'm not clear about is why when I eat garlic, my breath doesn't stink. When I make any dishes containing garlic that I've crushed and cooked, my husband's breath doesn't stink. However, if he buys a garlic bread or eats a take away that contains garlic, he stinks to high heaven and gets booted out of bed for three solid days until the garlic stink wears off. Strange :tard:

There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about me.
How cool and interesting was that?!

ScornedVixen

Postby Lonestar » 14 Jul 09, 3:19 am

ScornedVixen wrote:You're not a pest Lonestar! Don't underestimate yourself :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You're too kind. [Um, hey, waitaminnit...] :P

ScornedVixen wrote:...one thing I'm not clear about is why when I eat garlic, my breath doesn't stink. When I make any dishes containing garlic that I've crushed and cooked, my husband's breath doesn't stink. However, if he buys a garlic bread or eats a take away that contains garlic, he stinks to high heaven and gets booted out of bed for three solid days until the garlic stink wears off. Strange :tard:

Could be the garlic preparation. Here, I've noticed "garlic bread" sold in supermarkets is made with powdered garlic; at best dissolved into the butter on the bread and at worst just sprinkled on as an afterthought. Perhaps the oils that are released when crushing fresh garlic have something to do with it? :dontknow:

Thoughts, anyone?
Lonestar / EtoileSolitaire / Einsamerstern / EstrellaSolitaria / ОдинокаяЗвезда

*PLEASE VISIT!* Lonestar Enterprises [click]
Lonestar

Postby cerina » 14 Jul 09, 11:37 am

You are right, Lonestar. When you crush or chop garlic the natural flavours are released. For true garlic flavour, fresh is best but garlic granules aren't a bad substitute. Garlic salt should, in my opinion, only be used as a condiment, not as an ingredient. You can also buy crushed garlic, which I have found to be pretty close to fresh.
cerina

Return to Food