Yummy Easter Eggs

feed me

Yummy Easter Eggs

Postby sapphire » 30 Mar 10, 12:44 pm

One of our family traditions has been to make these awesome, delicious Easter Eggs. I remember the first one we were given, made by Mom's sister Laura way back in the early 1980's. We've made them almost every year since, and last year was bitter-sweet (pardon the chocolate pun) as we were making them in Aunt Laura's memory. Her daughter, Laura Ross, sent me the recipe today, as I can't find my copy. Still time to make them for Easter this year if you get cracking LOL (sorry I just can't help myself today) they take a few days to make, we always let them set between steps.

Thinking of my Mom while making mine this year <3

Easter Eggs

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
2/3 cup Eagle Brand milk (we always used no name sweetened condensed milk)
5 1/2 cups icing sugar

Cream butter, salt and vanilla together. Add Eagle Brand and stir until creamy. Add icing sugar 1 cup at a time and stir well between each addition. Mix by hand when mixture becomes too thick and knead well. Cut off 1/3 of mixture for yolks. Colour with yellow food colouring (sometimes you need a bit extra icing sugar to keep it from getting sticky) Divide each white and yellow into 8-12 equal parts. Form yellow into balls and cover with white. Mold into egg shape and leave to dry overnight, turning once.

Dip eggs into melted semi-sweet chocolate (we always added a small amount of shaved ParoWax to add shine, but it's not necessary) Decorate with Royal icing if desired.

Royal Icing

In a small mixing bowl at low speed, mix 2 room temp egg whites with 2 3/4 cup icing sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla. Increase speed until knife leaves a clear path when inserted. Colour as desired.

I hope everyone enjoys this recipe, and shares the eggs with their friends and families!!!
sapphire

Re: Yummy Easter Eggs

Postby Jack Flash » 30 Mar 10, 1:03 pm

will you be sending mine by parcel post ?
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby mid_nite_poet » 30 Mar 10, 1:30 pm

Sounds good :)
Silence and smile are two powerful words. Smile is the way to solve many problems and Silence is the way to avoid many problems
mid_nite_poet

Postby sapphire » 31 Mar 10, 11:29 am

Jack Flash wrote:will you be sending mine by parcel post ?

Nope, special delivery!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sapphire

Postby Jynx » 31 Mar 10, 3:55 pm

LOL after reading the first part i thought there would have been more terrible egg puns...
Well Egg-cellent, I get the change to "crack" out all the gems. I "shell" be looking forward to making these. Thank you and
TBH im quite Egg-cited .

Im soo sorry
In a world without walls and fences ...
...there is no need for Windows and Gates
Jynx

Postby Dennisq » 31 Mar 10, 4:00 pm

That sounds soooo good! Image
I met a man who had no smile ... so I gave him one. Image
Dennisq

Postby cerina » 01 Apr 10, 5:15 pm

Jynx wrote:LOL after reading the first part i thought there would have been more terrible egg puns...
Well Egg-cellent, I get the change to "crack" out all the gems. I "shell" be looking forward to making these. Thank you and
TBH im quite Egg-cited .

Im soo sorry

You are quite the yolker, Jynx. :mrgreen:

That sounds yummy, Saffy. :thumb:
cerina

Return to Food