Roses

What color is your thumb

Roses

Postby mid_nite_poet » 21 Feb 08, 7:36 am

A new rose bush can provide decades of beauty and enjoyment if properly planted and tended. The planting requirements for a new rose are both simple and important. The first months in a new home are crucial for the plant’s survival.
When you receive your new rosebush, chances are it will be un-planted and its roots wrapped in moss. It is very important that you keep the plant moist and cold until you are able to plant it properly.

The first step in planting your new rose is finding a good place to put it in the ground. Your rose should get at least 6 hours of sun each day, and should be planted in soil with good drainage. You can check the drainage of your soil with a simple test: dig a hole that is 12 inches deep, fill it with water and wait for the water to drain. Once the water has drained, refill the hole, if it is empty in less than two hours your soil has excellent drainage!

In addition to drainage, roses have other specific soil requirements. They prefer a more acidic soil with a pH ranging from 5.8 to 6.3. If your soil is too acidic—or too basic—you may ask your local nursery what you can add to the soil in order to correct the problem. Pine needles and lime are both acidifying agents that you may find in your own home or garden shed!

Soak your new rose bush in water for 24 hours before planting in order to prepare it for the change. Make sure to dig a hole that is at least two square feet for your rose. Build a small mound of dirt in the center of the hole and spread the roots out on top of it. In colder climates, the roots should be buried slightly deeper than in warmer Southern climates.

Once you have planted your rose, mulch the area surrounding it. Remember to leave a space of several inches around the rose clear of mulch. If mulch is placed too close to the plant, rotting can occur. Mulch is organic plant matter that spreads nutrients to the soil surrounding the rose as water runs through it. It is a natural and simple way to improve your soil!

The first few days after transplantation are the most crucial. You should build a small basin of dirt around the base of your rose bush in order to help it to retain water. Water the rosebush daily for the first week after transplantation. After this week, water every three days adjusting to the weather.

Once you begin to see new shoots coming out of the mound of dirt surrounding your rose, it is time to wash the mound away. Your rose bush is growing, this is good! But you must continue to care for your rose throughout its life. Rose specific fertilizers can be found in any drug store and should be added to the soil around your rose bush every two to three months.
Silence and smile are two powerful words. Smile is the way to solve many problems and Silence is the way to avoid many problems
mid_nite_poet

Re: Roses

Postby ScornedVixen » 08 Jun 11, 12:14 pm

Cool, I have pink roses in a big pot. Have yellow ones that waiting to be repotted. The pink ones had a faint delicate smell, however it seems to be less scented as time goes on and the yellow ones don't have any smell when they should have. Is it something I have or haven't done??

There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about me.
How cool and interesting was that?!

ScornedVixen

Postby Spirit of Desire » 08 Jun 11, 2:56 pm

I think this version will resonate more with the men of this forum, and perhaps some of the women too.

The first step for the budding young SPoD in planting a new rose bush is going to B&Q and buying an obscenely big spade to look manly. Your rose should get at least 6 hours of sun each day but with next doors ridiculous fucking tree that seems unlikely, and should be planted in soil (clear layer of cigarette ends from garden first) with good drainage. You can check the drainage of your soil with a simple test: dig a hole that is 12 inches deep (then deem this to be womanly and dig a much bigger one), fill it with water (with new 24 function hose attachment) and drink plenty of beer until the water goes away. Once the water has drained, refill the hole (remove shirt at this point to look good for passers by), if it is empty in less than two hours your soil has excellent drainage!

In addition to drainage, roses have other specific soil requirements, however the young SPoD will see this as too complex and will simply disregard the rest of this paragraph in favour of another beer. They prefer a more acidic soil with a pH ranging from 5.8 to 6.3. If your soil is too acidic—or too basic—you may ask your local nursery what you can add to the soil in order to correct the problem. Pine needles and lime are both acidifying agents that you may find in your own home or garden shed! At this point the young SPoD will see that he does not won a garden shed and will go back to B&Q to buy one that looks better than everyone elses in his area and a large amount of tools that he will never use, but will look good when he lets other people on the street borrow them.

Soak your new rose bush in water for at least a week before remembering its there in order to prepare it for the change. Make sure to dig a hole that is at least two square feet (yet another perfec oppertunity for an unnessecarily large hole) for your rose. Build a large mound of dirt in the center of the hole and attempt to spread the roots out on top of it before swearing at it and just shoving them everywhere. In colder climates, the roots should be buried slightly deeper than in warmer Southern climates. (Back to B&Q, buy patio heater)

Once you have planted your rose, mulch the area surrounding it. Remember to shove as much mulch in as you can, as it seems important. If mulch is placed too close to the plant, rotting can occur. (shit) Mulch is organic plant matter that spreads nutrients to the soil surrounding the rose as water runs through it. It is a natural and simple way to improve your soil! The young SPoD will then make th eobservation that a dead body would have the same effect after he looks over the fence to see next doors brand new 2 storey shed)

The first few days after transplantation are the most crucial although the young SPoD will likely forget he planted the damn thing. You should build a small basin of dirt around the base of your rose bush in order to help it to retain water. Water the rosebush daily for the first week after transplantation. After this week, water every time you remember.

Once you begin to see new shoots coming out of the mound of dirt surrounding your rose, (nothing yet, I wonder if something went wrong) Your rose bush is growing, (no it fucking isn't!!) this is good! But you must continue to care for your rose throughout its slow and struggling attempt at life.
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Spirit of Desire

Postby cerina » 08 Jun 11, 5:47 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That is a wonderful story. It made me quite tearful. My little SPoDlett is all growed up. :? :hug:
cerina

Postby Spirit of Desire » 09 Jun 11, 10:27 am

cerina wrote: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That is a wonderful story. It made me quite tearful. My little SPoDlett is all growed up. :? :hug:

I assure you, im only grown up where it counts ;)
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Spirit of Desire

Postby cerina » 09 Jun 11, 5:43 pm

That's reassuring. Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional. ;)
cerina

Postby ScornedVixen » 10 Jun 11, 1:12 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about me.
How cool and interesting was that?!

ScornedVixen

Return to In the Garden