Grandma's Tips

It's my Castle. Try to stay out of the dungen.

Grandma's Tips

Postby mid_nite_poet » 29 Jan 08, 4:16 am

Are you struggling with a problem that just won't go away? Perhaps you need one of our vintage tips. These are tips that have been handed down from generation to generation.

For a high polish on furniture go over the entire surface with a cloth dampened with equal parts of raw linseed oil and turpentine. Wipe excess oil with and polish with a dry woolen cloth.

Varnished surfaces can usually be cleaned nicely with a cloth dipped in cool weak tea.

To make scratches in mahogany invisible dye them with Iodine.

Nuts to scratches. That’s right - rub the scratched surface with the cut surface of either a walnut or a brazil nut. It will cover those scratches.

Erase white spots on mahogany by spreading a thick coat of Vaseline over the spots. Let it stand for 48 hours before wiping clean.

Wicker furniture should be cleaned by scrubbing with a stiff brush dipped in warm salt water/salt will help keep your wicker from turning yellow.
Silence and smile are two powerful words. Smile is the way to solve many problems and Silence is the way to avoid many problems
mid_nite_poet

Re: Grandma's Tips

Postby mid_nite_poet » 29 Jan 08, 4:24 am

Tips for the many uses of vinegar:

No Streak window cleaner:
Wash windows with a mixture of equal parts of white distilled vinegar and warm water. Dry with a soft cloth. This solution will make your windows shine and will not leave the usual film or streaks on the glass.

Tip for Cleaning Copper:

An easy way to clean copper is to dip half of lemon in salt rub the copper object rinse in hot water dry with a soft cloth.

Mix two teaspoon salt, two tablespoon flour and enough vinegar to make a thick paste. Rub paste on surface and let dry completely. Rinse in warm soapy water, buff with clean soft cloth

Place your copper jewelry in a glass, or plastic container, not metal. use a drinking glass. Pour enough vinegar over it to completely cover it. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Rinse. Dry with soft cloth. Easy job well done!

Mix lemon juice,Baking soda or cream of tartar Make a paste about the consistency of toothpaste. Rub onto brass or copper with a soft cloth. Rinse with water and dry.

Make your own cleaner for Copper or Brass: Make a paste of vinegar (or lemon juice), salt and corn meal. The corn meal helps make it easier to spread on an item and the vinegar /lemon juice and salt do the work.

Tip for Cleaning Your Bathroom:

Is your shower head clogged? No problem. The simplest way to unclog it is to soak it in vinegar and water for 20 minutes. Equal parts of the two ingredients should do it.
Silence and smile are two powerful words. Smile is the way to solve many problems and Silence is the way to avoid many problems
mid_nite_poet

Postby cerina » 29 Jan 08, 1:29 pm

I am a great believer in vinegar for all sorts of problems around the house and the last time I was in Germany I bought 5 litres of vinegar essig. It has to be dilute x 20 to be suitable for food use, so that shows you how concentrated it is.

I live in a hard water area and get chalk residue in the bath and sinks. I soak a cloth in a 1:10 ratio of vinegar essig and water and leave it on the marks for a couple of hours and then just rinse off.
cerina

Re: Grandma's Tiops

Postby Napper » 31 Jan 08, 6:39 pm

mid_nite_poet wrote:
Is your shower head clogged? No problem. The simplest way to unclog it is to soak it in vinegar and water for 20 minutes. Equal parts of the two ingredients should do it.

I bought a new one. It worked great!

:mrgreen:
Napper

Postby cerina » 31 Jan 08, 6:54 pm

I've miiissssssssssed you sooooooooo much. Image

Now, where the hell have you been? Image
cerina

Postby Napper » 02 Feb 08, 6:42 pm

I was sitting in the corner, cogitating.

They can't touch you for it!

;)
Napper

Postby cerina » 04 Feb 08, 11:00 am

To keep half an onion fresh, rub the cut side with butter.

If you get paint on your carpet, smear it with butter. Then use washing up liquid to remove the butter and the paint. This also works for tar and paint stains on clothes.

If you get paint on your hands, margarine & salt rubbed together works as well as other hand cleaners.
cerina

Postby ScornedVixen » 15 May 09, 1:26 pm

Put equal amount of water and vinegar into a spray bottle, use it to clean kitchen work surface to remove any traces of pheromones ants leave as a trail for others to follow. Do not use on granite and marble worktops.

There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about me.
How cool and interesting was that?!

ScornedVixen

Return to Home Sweet Home