Funny videos, Art videos, Music videos and more

Breitbart Makes Weather Woman Mad

Postby Don't Blink » 06 Dec 16, 7:46 pm

Breitbart Makes weather.com Weather Woman mad
Don't Blink

Re: Breitbart Makes Weather Woman Mad

Postby mugley » 06 Dec 16, 11:55 pm

she's cute when she's angry :love:

the problem is both sides tend to cherry pick and call the other side liars so the average person doesn't know what to believe
rude, crude, and lewd

"I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn. "
mugley

Postby Don't Blink » 07 Dec 16, 12:51 am

I'm going to go with the weather woman.

;) But I'll let you and Jack argue that stuff
Don't Blink

Postby Dixie » 08 Dec 16, 3:48 pm

mugley wrote:she's cute when she's angry

You don't have any daughters do you?
All I ask for is a rainy day in Georgia
Dixie

Postby mugley » 09 Dec 16, 8:57 am

nope lol but if I did, they'd be used to my jokes by now
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 09 Dec 16, 4:16 pm

mugley wrote:the problem is both sides tend to cherry pick and call the other side liars so the average person doesn't know what to believe

Oh yeah you just had to do that to make me go out and buy something I could login with - didn't you :lmao: :lmao:

Not sure where you read that "both sides cherry pick their data", but I've been seeing that a lot. If someone is referring to prepper sites predicting the end of the world, or vegan sites, or such, cherry picking a study with results that they like - well then yeah no argument. But I think Breitbart is representing itself as more credible than those sites - maybe not it's not, on my reading list.

I suspect that people saying that scientists "cherry pick their own data", refers to the practice of normalizing their data by excluding outliers when there's good reason to do so. When studying the climate, ocean currents, or most anything else, environmental scientists anticipate a specific range of data. It is an appropriate statistical analysis function to exclude extreme outliers because that means either human error or technological error likely occurred (i.e. data collected by weather station whose instruments needed calibration, etc.).

When scientists see something off that doesn't look like it belongs, they remove it. Sometimes they will comment on why, many times it's understood that it was appropriate. If a scientist is unwilling to share his or her data and methods, then that is when it becomes suspicious. Literally any scientist in that field should be able to repeat the results and run a statistical analysis by following the methods of the published scientist. When the research can be repeated with consistent results, that's called peer-reviewed science.

If a scientist changes the data, "cherry picking their own data", it would be considered extremely unethical, and if discovered they will be shunned by the community and forbidden to publish in science journals. If they don't like the results, the only choice is to bury the study and throw away years worth of work. Modifying the study is forbidden!

That it is very frustrating for scientists to work years on a study, only to have someone in mass media come a long and misinterpret it to meet their agenda. Hence the blowback directed at Breitbart.

The truth is very little of real research makes definitive statements. It generally points out correlation. People with an agendas tend to make statements of causation.

The best advice I can give anyone seeking the truth is to skip mass media and read scientific journals and academic reviews.
Life is just a "Bit of Fun" . . . Google it
Jack Flash

Postby Angie G » 09 Dec 16, 9:18 pm

At the risk of sounding like I would rather be naïve getting information from academic journals is boring. One subject may be okay, but as the main source of information is really not practical for most people.

Dixie, Mugley is just an older fellow, he's not trying to be sexist intentionally.
Angie G

Postby mugley » 10 Dec 16, 1:59 am

Jack Flash wrote:
mugley wrote:the problem is both sides tend to cherry pick and call the other side liars so the average person doesn't know what to believe

Oh yeah you just had to do that to make me go out and buy something I could login with - didn't you :lmao: :lmao:

Not sure where you read that "both sides cherry pick their data",

actually I got it from you

and welcome back :beer:
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Jack Flash » 10 Dec 16, 11:15 am

:beer: Good to be back. Hope you have been well

... and nope - not from me :razz:
Jack Flash

Postby mugley » 10 Dec 16, 11:48 am

I'm hanging in there and actually it was in a conversation we were having about, guess what? climate change lmao
rude, crude, and lewd

mugley

Postby Dixie » 10 Dec 16, 4:41 pm

The area I live in is very conservative. When the subject of climate change comes up most will say is been changing for billions of years. That is true. But it has not changed so fast in such a short period of time with the exception of volcanoes and asteroids. I get a lot of help from the people over at Clemson. They tell me that the accuracy of their forecasts is subject to error because we are going into uncharted territory.

I know Ang Just trying to nudge him in the right direction
Dixie

Postby Don't Blink » 10 Dec 16, 8:27 pm

How do you know you’re in a Clemson bar?

Answer:
If you call the number on the bathroom wall you get the farm report
Don't Blink

Postby Jack Flash » 11 Dec 16, 11:07 am

Dixie wrote: They tell me that the accuracy of their forecasts is subject to error because we are going into uncharted territory.

This is true.

Not much ocean interaction with the atmosphere has been featured in the news.. The area of Thermohaline circulation here on the East Coast we call the Gulf-stream is being disrupted by freshwater runoff from Greenland and ice melt in the Arctic causing the warm waters to pool in the Greenland, Norwegian, Barents, Kara Seas https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/o ... -45,45,400 and check this out and 55 Fahrenheit water temperature between Greenland and Svalbard https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/o ... 488,77.720

Thermohaline circulation explained http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/ ... eyor1.html Take a look at the ocean area between Greenland and Norway in this image https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohal ... ensity.jpg It has a higher density due to salt content than almost anywhere except the Mediterranean. That is changing with ice melt.

This and other anomalies is definitely making life difficult for weather forecasters
Jack Flash

Postby Dixie » 12 Dec 16, 10:23 pm

Don't Blink wrote:How do you know you’re in a Clemson bar?

Orange you the witty one

Jack Flash wrote:This and other anomalies is definitely making life difficult for weather forecasters

It's not making it easy for farmers either
Dixie

Return to Funny Videos and Creative Clips